The weather in our neck of the woods was just perfect today -- low 80s, and even better, low humidity!. We elected to take advantage of this unexpected August blessing by taking a long overdue trip up to Harpers Ferry, WV and Antietam Battlefield in Maryland. Suffice to say, it was a Civil War history buff's (that would be me!) dream come true.
For those of you who fell asleep during the Civil War chapter of your 11th grade history textbook, Harper's Ferry is the scene of John Brown's infamous standoff in the name of slavery abolition. It also happens to be where the Potomac and the Shennendoah Rivers meet and continue on to Washington. Pretty dramatic, both visually and historically.

Not all the buildings in the village of Harpers Ferry are in ruins, though that might not be apparent from my selection of pictures. We do have pictures of entire buildings (all circa 1870s and earlier), but those require a nominal fee. Send your requests along with a check addressed to "Katie and Andy's House (preferably not in ruins!) Fund." Until then, enjoy a few shots of the original Harpers Ferry place of worship...


The picture below was taken from a spot called "Jefferson's Rock." The spot is scenic, yes; but Andy and I were more thrilled with the fact that the trail up to Jefferson's Rock is also known as the Appalacian Trail. Yes, that's right folks, Andy and I have officially hiked the AT... for about a dozen yards. All uphill, though.

I've always been drawn to old cemetaries. They're so peaceful and I suppose I see them as a very direct link with those who have come before me. I'm always particularly touched by the numbers of headstones for children I find in these cemeteries. They are a tragic and sobering reminder of an era when a baby was hardly a guarantee, and death was a painful and ever-present part of life.

Though Andy hates sepia toned pictures, I thought this picture taken at Antietam Battlefield seemed most appropriate in sepia. Sorry, Andy.

I am, as mentioned earlier, a voracious Civil War buff. It has held my fascination since I was just a kid. There is something unimaginable about it... and yet I think it is a part of American history that makes us as Americans a bit more human. I could go on, but I think this post is already getting a bit more dark and introspective that we typically like to keep it here at The House of Payne blog.

This picture was taken on what is now referred to as "Bloody Lane." On approximately the spot I was standing when this picture was taken, over 5,000 soldiers lost their lives in the space of about 4 hours. To put it in perspective, more men and boys died in 4 hours in Antietam than have died in 4 years in Iraq. So much for ending on a more upbeat note...

Next post will have kittens, puppies, or a combination of the two... I promise. :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment