Sunday, February 07, 2010

Snowpocalypse II/Snowmageddon/Snowmygod 2010

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few days, you've probably heard that we had a few snow flurries around here this weekend. And by "snow flurries," I mean the cold wrath of Mother Nature descended upon us with all her might. As northerners who typically scoff at a Mid-Atlantic excuse for a "snow storm," this one had us shaking our heads in disbelief.



Andy took a few pictures in the midst of the story. The next two were taken on Saturday.




After the weather cleared, we decided to take a walk on Sunday morning to survey the damage. What we saw was as impressive as it was beautiful.


The look on Harry's face captures his response to all the snow. I think he's worried that things won't go back to normal.

Wires were down all over the place (as were branches, and trees). We were lucky to escape such troubles, and we were both grateful to have made the effort to get that old tree in front of our house removed this summer.



View towards S. Fairfax from the corner of Franklin and S. Royal (our house is on the corner at the top of this hill).


Franklin Street at S. Fairfax (our house is about 25 feet to the right of where I was standing when I took this picture). Neither of our cars are buried in this row, but this picture captures the sheer volume of snow. I was actually a little impressed with how quickly and how well the roads were plowed this time around. It would seem that the folks in Northern Virginia learned a thing or two after the big storm in December.


While Andy was busy digging out our cars, I took Harry out back to see how he'd react to a romp in the snow. Poor guy... the snow was too deep for him to move much, though he gave it a good try. This is him realizing snow up to his neck = cold and difficult to move around in = no fun.

No comments: