After a week with our new addition, I’d like to update everyone on our impressions of life (really only a week) with Harry.
- I’ve been amazed by the wide range and number of people who are drawn to greyhounds. My personal favorite thus far: Walking him a few mornings ago, I heard a little girl (possibly 5 or 6) cry out, “Ohhhh, pretty doggy.”
- Greyhound people are a tight-knit group. We were stopped on a walk the first day we had him by a woman who has a greyhound named Jack. It seems that Jack was waiting in the car and wanted to meet Harry (greyhounds LOVE other greyhounds). We only spoke for a moment, and though it appeared as though we had little in common (she and her husband were about 40 years our senior), I definitely got the sense that we’d be friends if only for the fact that we’re both loved by a greyhound.
- I’m a little disturbed by how quickly Harry’s poo became a common topic of discussion between Andy and me.
- When I think of all the horror stories I’ve heard from dog people about bringing a dog (and a rescue dog, no less!) into a new home, I can’t help but feel lucky. Harry does his business outside, he loves to stay in his crate, he’s not destructive, doesn’t bark (we haven’t heard a peep from him yet), he walks well on a leash (90% of the time), he takes alone time in stride, and, best of all, he shows only passing, casual interest in the smaller furry creatures in the house.
- Most of all, I’m amazed at this creature who greets us enthusiastically after an absence, who puts his head in my lap for more petting, and who looks for us to help guide him in his new world. He barely knows us, but I already sense the trust and love that dog people go on about. There is something special about occupying that space in a creature (human or animal)’s life.
I realize that we have a long way to go. There will undoubtedly be days when we ask ourselves why we decided to bring another pet into the house. (We ask that question more often than we’d care to admit as far as Athena is concerned. Usually followed shortly after other questions like: “Oh, God, what is she into now?,” “Why won’t she just leave poor Nala alone?,” “Did you know cats could do that?” or, my personal favorite, “What is she eating?! Whatever it is, I hope it’s cat safe.”) But if the experience of loving Harry is anything like that of loving our kitties, I think we have a lot of good times ahead of us.
1 comment:
Congratulations on a wonderful choice.
Harry can share stories with Maya as another dog that has been "rescued" by our extended family to provide a safe haven and loving environment to animals in need.
I've heard disaster stories from some who have provided homes to rescue dogs, but I'm happy to say that Maya has been a very grateful and faithful companion. I couldn't have asked for more and hope that Harry is just as grateful to you!
Post a Comment