Monday, April 14, 2008

Confessions of a Retired Racing Greyhound

Day 1

No race today. Months have passed since my regular routine changed drastically. I was used to a predictable schedule, a certain type of food, and lots of other hounds to keep me company. Now I find myself surrounded by people and these strange creatures they often refer to as 'cats.' After I finally began to settle in and get used to one person and her 'cat,' another pair loaded me in their car and drove me away. These new people seem to mean well, but I can tell they've never had anyone like me around. They refer to me as "Harry," which I suppose I can live with... better than "Jay's Tone O" in any case. In the midst of all this upheaval, I find comfort in sleep, food and walks. These people can't be all bad. They give me plenty of each.

Day 2

No race today. I was a little disappointed to discover that these new people also have 'cats.' The longhair is more shy and, for the most part, observes me from a distance. The shorthair, on the other hand, well, that one could be trouble. Fearless, that one is.... she approaches my crate with eyes wide... sometimes it's hard to determine if she's observing or challenging me! The people appear to love them, though, so I suppose I'll learn to accept them as part of the pack. In time.

After a long walk I found myself surrounded by grass, water and so many people and dogs! I think the people called it a 'park.' Boy, was it busy. I've never seen anything like it... it was a little overwhelming for a dog who is used to seeing the same people, things, and dogs everyday for most of his life. While it was pretty stressful, I couldn't help but enjoy all the compliments I got while out on my walk. I personally think my lobster collar looks ridiculous, but the people seem to get a kick out of it. And they don't understand us??



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie and Andy, Congratulations on your new addition!! Harry looks like quite a gentle dog. It appears he fears no cats. Hope you enjoy him. Love you, Grammie O.

lakelady said...

welcome to the family Harry. Looking forward to getting to know you.